The temperature has turned, here in the "Big Smoke", and I had to wear my wool coat to work this morning. Crunchy leaves are on the ground, the wind has a bite to it, and frost on the grass in the mornings definitely signify that it is time for Halloween. That, and the skeleton hanging from my neighbour's tree.
Halloween is a big-time holiday in my quaint Victorian neighbourhood, where the ratio of children under 5 is the "highest in Canada". I'm so excited about participating in this Wednesday's trick or treating bonanzas that I've already bought a bowlful of chocolates (assorted including: Caramilk, Twix, Coffee Crips, Oh Henry, Wunderbar, Reese peanut butter cups), Maynards gummies (including Fuzzy Peaches and Swedish berries) and a box full of Hallween-size potato chips (my personal favourite when I too used to collect candy).
The day before yesterday, I went to a Halloween party, where JNTN and I dressed up as our favourite Hiro--literally! He went as Hiro Nakamura, from our obsessively loved show Heroes, and I went as Hiro Nakamura, the FUTURE version!
I LOVE our costume concept so much that I did a ton of research into the show, including checking out the Heroes wiki (can you believe this actually exists!?) and googling fansites endlessly. The outfits turned out great, after spending a mere combined total of $10 on our samurai swords and my "soul patch". Everything else we found from just hunting through our closets and being innovative. I'll include photos later!
Of course, I get pretty bummed when I talk to people who don't watch the show and have no idea what we're supposed to be. I was especially bummed though when PL, JNTN's brother, came by to me last week and asked what we were going to be for Halloween, and I said to him, "OH! I'm going to be Hiro Nakamura, the future version, and JNTN is going to be Hiro Nakamura, present day" and he looked at me confused and asked, "is that some kind of cartoon...?"
Anyway, our *hit* costume won the great prize of "Funniest Costume" at the Saturday Halloween Party, which was "geek" party as JNTN said, and most people there love Heroes as much as us. This prize-winning evening was an inspirational kick-off to the pumpkin-carving party yesterday. It was BYOP and 9 of us crowed into Nat's little bachelor apartment to carve 9 pumpkins into various shapes and monsters. I'll share photos later, including some, I hope, of the Pumpkin Parade that I'm going to go to on Thursday. The week-long countdown to Halloween continues....!
10.29.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment