I’m tapping away on this keyboard with freshly French-manicured nails, occasionally pausing to admire their nice rounded shaping, and healthy pink and white tipped shine. Why the sudden girlishness of getting a manicure? Well I was doing some solo-shopping yesterday and was growing more and more impatient the longer that I went without buying something. I wandered from store-to-store looking for a holiday outfit for a party, and also gifts for friends in town. After three hours of wandering, I still hadn’t bought anything! So finally I focused on buying dinner instead, which put me on course to my favourite Korean restaurant, Thumbs Up on Bloor Street and Palmerston.
Just 100 meters from the restaurant, though, I saw a perky-looking hair salon that was still opened at 6:30pm on a Sunday-- Celine’s Hair and Nail. I stopped to check out their prices and seeing that the French manicure was a reasonable $18, I thought to go in.
The girl that did my nails was completely meticulous, very gentle, and careful. It was about a 20+ step process, complete with a lovely hand massage and nail cleaning. After applying 5 or 6 coats of nail polish evenly and drying for 10 minutes, the girl helped me put on my coat… even buttoning me up... as she feared that I would smudge the artwork.
This was my first manicure in over a year, and definitely worth the wait. For a bargain $18 (NO tax!) I felt truly pampered and well taken care of. My most previous experience was at a Yonge Street nail salon (I think it was $15 there), where it felt dirty and unhygienic (with dirty tools) and the paint job was sloppy and uneven. So especially in comparison, I had a great experience at this salon. And even though I buy any new holiday clothes for my party, at least I can wear my pretty new nails.
11.26.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment