So I went to Church last Sunday, attending my very first Catholic mass ever. It was at a super traditional church, with large wooden pews, stained glass windows, and service in Latin and "sing-songy" English. (I don't know how else to describe it--the priest was doing the omm-omm-omm chanting you sometimes see in classic religious movies). There was a mix of people as eclectic as my neighbourhood... older Polish ladies, young families with little kids, and the occasional Asian. It was a snowy, frigid day outside, but inside the church, it was warm and eerily somber. Overall, I thought that service was quite beautiful, even though I didn't always understand what was going on.
It's funny how I'm non-religious, but I really appreciate other people's faith. When someone says to me, "I'll pray for you," I feel a little tingly inside, as if their "blessing" may actually change my fate. But by the same regards, if someone just says "I'll send you some good luck vibes", I feel indifferent.
If someone religious misses church, I tsk, thinking that whatever they're doing instead, it had better be good... because how could anything be as important as demonstrating their faith in the Almighty? If someone misses church for me or because of me, I feel that somehow God is going to blame me. Like I'm some heathen stealing away his followers.
So why should I care, if I don't *believe* in God? Well, I think it's just in the very same vein of "doing unto others as you'd want them to do unto you". And after all, it's just good Karma.
2.05.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
why did u go to church
as long as it's not because of a boy. it's not because of a boy, is it? heheheh...
church is good...it gives people a lot of hope in their lives...and helps find their purpose and focus.
Post a Comment