2.28.2007

129. Shot in the Arm

So Monday was my first ever physical exam. My first because, for the past decade or so I haven't had a family doctor. I've moved around too much, haven't had any critical problems (knock on wood), and have been too lazy to actually find a "regular" doctor. Prior to my teenage years, I did have a family doctor, but back then, I didn't go for physicals. At least I don't remember.

So I had my first annual physical, which entails a lot of poking and prodding, and procedures that I'm not comfortable posting to the masses... All of this, and a shot in the arm.

My doc insisted on giving me a booster shot for tetanus, presuming that I hadn't had one in a while. Apparently you're supposed to get one once every 10 years, to ward off the often-fatal disease of tetanus. Also called lockjaw, tetanus is a disease you contract when you get yourself a deep, dirty wound. Like stepping on a rusty nail, for instance, or accidentally stabbing yourself with a garden rake.

I know all of these details because I've been Google-educating myself on the matter. I'm so curious about tetanus and the shot that I got because even though I got the shot over two days ago, my arm STILL HURTS. The injection site on my bicep is still very tender, and my arm is sore enough that I wince each time I lift it or move it too much. And yesterday when my friend clapped me on the arm in a half-hug, I nearly cried.

Not knowing if this is a common side effect, I put my faith into Google, where upon I found gruesome details about people DYING from tetanus shots and babies being deformed!! On the other end, I found out about other people having bruising and tenderness for about a week after their shots. And reassuring responses from "doctors" on these web forums suggesting that one week of pain is still okay.

So I'm leaning towards that camp, ie. the one where I'm okay, instead of the one that says I might be dying... but until I'm all healed, my arm still hurts and that makes me sad. Wah.

1 comment:

seakrait said...

It's too late. You must now surrender your new computer to me. Your tetanus infected arm cannot make full use of it.