2.12.2007

125. How dai is your ha tou?

My shimp head? Pretty big. The moniker, "big-headed shrimp" (translated from Cantonese, phonetically "dai-toh ha") is an appropriate nickname once given to me by my dear mother... because, for some reason, my brain is somewhat scattered at times and I'd lose my shrimp head, if it weren't attached to my body (to mix English metaphors with Chinese ones).

Anyway, so Saturday was my highly-anticipated *date* with my BF, who came to Ontario for a week to enjoy our frigid minus 15 weather. We spent the day malling (and re-malling) around Eaton Centre, one of the biggest malls in Toronto. The reason we went through the mall twice is because I lost my fuzzy pink toque... so just as we reached the end of the mall and I realized that my toque was missing, we had to retrace our steps all the way to the beginning. Thank goodness that the first time we traversed through, we left a very memorable trail... so much so, that when I went back to the stores, the workers remembered me and would ask, "oh, you? back again?"

The happy ending is that I *DID* find my toque (under the table that we had stopped at whilst taking a bubble tea break) although I'm sure my BF was a little dissapointed that we didn't go back to Canadian Tire so we could play on the esculators again.

Anyway, that wasn't the only time that my big shrimp reared it's ugly head that day. Sometime between dinner and being dropped off in front of Dr. Man's apartment, I lost my scarf! This time, I thought I had left it in JNTN's car, but as I called asked him to search and re-search for the scarf, he couldn't find it. I called the restaurant and they couldn't find it either.

So at midnight, as my BF and I left Dr. Man's place, and started on our way home for the night, we saw, at the very same time, a little black lump of material on the street... exactly where I had dropped my scarf. I was happy to find it, even though it was slightly frosty and dusted with a tire track.

And because things happen "in threes", the night's excitement didn't end there... because just as we arrived at the subway platform, waiting for the subway, I realized that I had left my shopping bag at Dr. Man's!!... and for the *third* time that evening, I had to go back to where I came, to get something that I had left behind.

But all's well that end's well because at the end of the day, even though I had lost three things, I found them all again, and even though I had to walk twice as much as I would have on a normal day, maybe I slimmed down the size of my big shrimp head, at least a little...

3 comments:

seakrait said...

But do typos on your blog count towards the dai tou ha counter?

GoMa.on.the.go said...

wah! what typos? so embarassed...

Anonymous said...

the same typos i keep telling you about! i don't think they're typos though...i think there are just some words that you don't know how to spell:)