3.05.2007

131. Well-balanced Weekend

Every so often, I'm lucky enough to experience a really great weekend. Such was the case this past weekend, in which I had a flurry of activity, accomplished a lot, and still had time to rest and give myself a little bit of "me" time.

On Friday after work, I went to a new friend's house to cook dinner. We had BBQ lamb skewers and rice pilaf. It was *SO* yummy and we made everything from scratch and by hand. Four us teamed up to cook the lovely dinner and then enjoy it in a gluttonous act of devouration. After the dinner we went into downtown for a birthday party at the Bier Market, a rowdy pub on The Esplanade (that's the actual name of the street!). I met up with a couple of my dragon boat teammates, my dinner friends, bumped into my coworker, and was introduced to lots of new wonderful people. There was a great live band and fun music, and we danced and chatted all night until about 2am.

The next morning was an early one, because one of my party friend's had left a computer bag at my house and needed to retrieve it at 8am. So I was up really early, and had the luxury of enjoying a morning Starbucks coffee and a walk down Roncies in the brisk cool. I got some groceries, and then went home where, of course, I went right back to bed. After waking, I spent the whole afternoon in Markham, spending over $100 on household necessities from Walmart and Shoppers Drug Mart and then enjoying a traditional Filipino dinner at night. I tried new dishes including menudo, and beef calderetta, a savoury stew of gravy and beef chunks.

The BEST discovery though was pan de sal, a white dinner bun that, in my mind, ranks higher even than TnT bread (and as you all know how I fawn over TnT, that's a pretty grand rating!) At first, my expectations were not very high. We'd driven to a hidden, unassuming bake shop with bare counters and greasy windows. But then as I was handed a brown paper bag, full of steamy, fresh-from-the-oven buns, lightly browned with crispy sweet tops and soft fluffy inside, I sank into a bliss of bready goodness and devoured my new found love.

Anyway, after the first two-thirds of the weekend flew by in a rush of friends and fun, I spent the rest of it working. I woke up early again on Sunday morning to be at York University by 8:30am. There, I found a cozy work corner, and worked solidly on my Organizational Behaviour paper until 3:30pm. I've never concentrated so well, working on a paper, not since second-year undergrad, anyway. Back at home that evening, I just rested and lounged, cleaning my house and preparing for this week.

So overall, I had the "perfect" balance of everything... fun moments, relaxing moments, private moments, and work moments. Plus of course some yummy food... mmm what a life I live!

No comments: