4.12.2007

142. Contemplating Motivation in Life

It's this age that we're in, when people are marrying, graduating, moving, and considering career changes, that can be a bit frightening. I think at one point, "change" was kind of exciting, but it just isn't anymore... Now we're *too* old, and *too* conscientious of the future. We're always considering what's to come and what may come.

In the last couple of days, I've had chats with two close friends about this untangible idea of "the future". Career choices, career changes, and career challenges. Work really seems to be the catalyst at this age, that puts everything else into question.

I'm starting to realize however that a person should really just be happy with his own life's *balance*. If you can be content with your work-life-family-friends-future balance, then your job is well suited to you. It shouldn't matter so much what your actual job function is, or what your daily work load is. If work (and associated time, salary, commute, stress and other factors) are balanced with your life, family, friends, and future goals... then I think you should be content with what you have.

After all, very few lucky people LOVE their jobs. Even those who *say* they do have bad days at work. Or they'll have troubling moments when they question themselves and their choices. Even those pharmacists, lawyers, accountants and friends of mine. I see that they're successful and respected and doing well for themselves... but even they'll have good and bad days.

I've contemplated quitting my job several times, and I've spent whole afternoons doing job searches, seeking out MBA programs, and even looking into design schools. But then I go back to my routine because it's *easy* and things in my life are well and balanced now. My fear is that if I try changing jobs, I may upset that important balance of work-life-family-friends etc. And right now, it's not worth it to me because I'm content with how things are so well-balanced.

No comments: