I realized last night, as the TV, lights, computer, and clocks instantaneously blinked off, and I was left in the pitch black, that I am terrified of the dark. When the black out hit, I curled up, fetal-like, and started whimpering. I was so scared, I think, because I was alone, and the dark came on so suddenly and expectantly. Plus, it was alarmingly dark in my apartment, darker than I have ever experienced... probably because I'm in a basement suite, with sunken windows that get little light even during the daytime.
I was totally rigid with fear, and could barely get up from desk to take the ten steps to my bed and under the covers, where, as all 4-year-olds know, it is much safer.
Anyway, the comic relief of the whole affair (and the reason why I survived the night) is that I experienced this whole ordeal while on the phone. I had a long distance phone companion with me, who will probably enjoy attesting, that I was scared beyond normal human wits, and he was laughing at me the whole time.
I insisted, and still do, that my fear was very real, and yet my Hawaii-residing friend refused to come over and protect me. (Though he was very correct in pointing out that if he could've come over that the knocks on the door would have killed me).
Somehow though, I made it through one of the scariest experiences I've had, living on my own in this strange city, and live to tell about it. Tonight though, I'm buying a flashlight because now that I know what the dark is like, I know that I'm afraid of it!
4.04.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hahahah... go arthur
Post a Comment