4.12.2007

143. Further, on Motivation

I guess what it boils down to is "motivation". In our careers, motivation includes a hierarchy of 5 things. This is something that I learned in school, of course, but it makes a lot of sense to me. The five things people are motivated by, in order are: 1."survival and security", 2."well being" 3."social needs" 4."esteem needs" and 5. "self-actualization" needs.

Most people in the world are content with the first two items, i.e. the basics in life.... shelter, water, food, and then money, possessions etc. As a person moves up the scale, they become motivated by other factors. "Social needs" refers to acceptance and friendship; "esteem needs" means control, fame and power; "self-actualization" needs means having a legacy or accomplishing some greater good.

Different people are motivated by different things. Maybe I'm content with just having the first three levels of motivation. I feel secure, I'm pleased with my Maybe I don't need esteem power or the need to change the world. Or if I do, maybe I shouldn't be envious of someone else who has gained esteem, or have made a legacy for themselves already. As long as I am motivated to get there, I am sure that I still can.

No comments: