4.16.2007

144. Back Off or My Fish Will Attack You!

So my little family is ever-growing. Newly added to the household (of Stewart the computer; Grumpy the lap top; TicTac the Mac; Poddi the iPod, Fern the fern, and Nelson, the Ikea plant) is an *actual* live, breathing (sort of) creature... TORO el Fishiro, the Siamese Fighting Fish.

I picked him up yesterday from the big box pet store, Pet Smart. He's the loveliest shade of indigo, with a long fan-like tail and fins. He shimmers reds and blues when he turns and he has two pure-white whiskers that trail from his two side fins.

Anyway, as pretty as he is, Toro is a warrior and has a fiercely aggressive side to him. The second he sees another Siamese Fighting Fish, he fans out his fins and puffs his gills, a sign of intimidation and power. There are no other fish in his tank for him to bully though, so he's usually good natured.

I've taught him a neat trick, though, and that is to attack on command. All I do is hold up a mirror near his bowl, and Toro immediately prepares to fight, thinking that he sees another Siamese Fighting Fish in his territory. Though some might say that I'm antagonizing him, I believe that Toro needs the visual stimulation to keep up his predator prowess.

Regardless, it's a fun thing to do, and he's a neat fishy and I'm very pleased to have him stay with me. Now, is anyone free next weekend to fish-sit? I'm going to be out of town....

No comments: