Perhaps because I was taking up to much of his time lamenting the degree of lameness of certain things Torontonian, Jerm has convinced me to blog it all down.
SO.
Lame-o thing number one: sushi. Japanese food, in this part of Canada is strongly lacking. Though I did enjoy a nice chirashi don for dinner last night, it cost a hefty dollar, and still did not compare to the $7 chirashi don at Zero One Sushi on West Pender. I think it's really due to the freshness level of the fish. If only we were a little closer to an ocean... The only saving grace in the Japanese food chain out here is sushi pizza. A quentessentially Torontonian food product, sushi pizza is sort of a hybrid, fusion food product, that no respectable sushi chef would ever be caught with on his menu. In Toronto, however, it's served at nearly every Japanese food place I've been too. Yes, both of them.
Lame-o thing number two: bubble tea. Although they even have bubble tea store chains out here, it seems as though they're all suffering the same lack of innovation, taste, or flavour. No one even comes close to echoing the glory of Peanuts or Dragonball or even Little Tea House from back home. Maybe it's just too expensive to truck in fresh fruit or something, but all the bbt houses here use syrups and powders and other cheapie drink substitutes. More than half the time, no matter what store I try or what I order, the bubbles are too soft or too sweet or too small in quantity. The biggest, most rediculously lame-o thing about Toronto bubble tea is the price. No $1.99 tub-o-bubble here. The average drink starts at $4, charges extra for bubbles, PLUS the standard 15% sales tax. Ever use a $10 bill for a drink and not get any change? Oh right, it must've been in Toronto.
Lame-o thing number three: ME. I can vaguely remember a time when I used to be cool. When going out at 11pm and staying out until after the paper boy had already delivered the morning newspaper was a regular occurance. Tonight, for a fine example, typifies my lame-o existance. I'm home by 8pm, sitting in front of the computer and blogging! Oh woe is me when I've fallen so low on the cool-scale. I'm down here with the soggy bubbles and dull raw fish.
Can someone out there help me regain my cool-quotient?
4.21.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
how can the centre of the universe be that lame? :p come back to vancouver already and enjoy the delectable All You Can Eat sushi joints and the scrumptious bubble teas (with nice chewy pearls and real fruit flavour!).
i agree with point number 3!!!!
i am in nagoya now!! remember the time we were here?!?! we had yakiniku and then played pool here..and i kicked your ass!?! good times..that was cool.
Hi G!
Sushi is expensive in Boston too:P
Eat more when u come back home, sis!
Post a Comment