When it rains, it pours… and in the last two days since B asked me out, I’ve been “asked out” by three more guys—J, D, and J2. Not that I’m keeping track or anything, but this “streak” is somwhat unprecedented for me…
Of course, J, D and J2 weren’t nearly as blunt as “hit-me-over-the-head” as when B said to me “in case there’s any confusion, I’m asking you out on a date”. They said, much more subtly, and in text message/ email form, “maybe we could go for drinks sometime”. I’d have to say that this is something that I’m a lot more comfortable with. And, even though there’s some ambiguity about whether these are even “dates” or not, I can deal with ambiguous intentions much better than a “stalker-ish” ones.
In fact, I probably can't count D’s request as a “date” request. Technically he just asked me to go clubbing. Something along the lines of “if you’re free Saturday, come to Tonic night club”. See, and that’s fine, and a very safe request. But I told him that I can’t go this Saturday (the truth is that I wouldn’t want to go to a club unaccompanied and Dr. Man happens to be “on-call” this Saturday). I said to him “maybe next time”.
I met J at the same time as D, at the same conference a couple of months ago and then I saw him again at Mags U. (note to self: a good place to meet guys is at conferences...) We’ve been MSN-ing each other for the past little while, which makes “going for drinks” the natural next-step in the progression of our relationship. I’m sort of relieved that he asked me out because I’d been fearing for the past two months that he’s gay. (hmm.. I suppose he might BE gay, but I guess I’d have to have drinks with him to find out)!!
J2, I’ve known for years and years so I don’t really think of this as a date. We’d gone out (in the platonic sense) several times before, but lost touch and only became re-acquainted recently because we are now both living in Toronto. J2 is hilarious though… he reminds me of (and I’m not sure if you can picture this) an awkward version of The Chi. Seriously. J2 has some challenges expressing himself. Like, I actually don’t know what he’s saying sometimes! At least The Chi and I can joke around and chat, having known each other for years and having so many mutual friends in common.
So even though it should be exciting and flattering to have “so many men” in my life, it’s almost sad and embarrassing the choices I have. (ouch, I’m so mean aren’t I?!!) Well maybe I’ll find out something great and charming about one or the other after a date…
6.10.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmm... it seems to me that you seem more interested in J as you said you were fearing that he was gay but relieved when he asked you out. Is that supposed to mean something? Perhaps you've set out your own plans for your bevy of men already.
Personally (and hypocritically so, I suppose), I don't think I would choose to date all three of them at once to determine whom out of the three I'd like the best. I'd pick the one I liked the best from the start and give it my best shot.
But then again, one can't look a gift horse in the mouth. When four guys are after you at one time, who are you to say no to any of them anyway?
Perhaps you should just enjoy the ride (both figuratively and literally). Zing!
Post a Comment