6.30.2006

A social glutton

The last couple of days have been such a flurry of action that I feel almost guilty for taking out a little bit of time for reflection. I'm trying to see as many people as I can, shirking sleep for social obligations, and bypassing proper food for social eating. This is a week of reunions, catching up, photo-taking, quality conversations and moments with people... some of whom I haven't seen in over 3 years.

But it's the pace that I'm going at that makes this is a little bit intense. In fact, JMo asked me today why I have to have so many little get-togethers and parties.... why can't I just have one big huge get together, and hit all 50 "birds with one stone". I think that would make most sense from an economic standpoint, and would definitely be more efficient... but I'm somewhat of a social glutton when it comes to my friends. And when everyone is in town, like they are this week, I feel like I need to spend every waking second with as many people as I possibly can. Cuz, really, who knows when the stars will again align like this??

The worst thing you can do to a glutton, I understand, is to feed it... so when everyone is so agreeable about coming out to this or that and they ALL come, I just feel all giddy and happy, and then I just end up going out more, and trying to see even more people even more often...

But I wonder if it comes to a point when one social engagement or another starts to lose it's meaning... and if seeing someone "today" is not as important, cuz you know that you'll be seeing them again "tomorrow."

I'm afraid that could happen, but of course I don't want it to. And then again, maybe it doesn't even apply to me. Because I don't live here anymore and I'm only in town for five days... there really aren't enough "tomorrows" left.

No comments: