5.13.2006

Dinner Party!

Killing some time waiting for my dinner guests to arrive. I'm so excited because this will be my first real dinner party chez moi (well, my new Sunnyside home). On the menu for tonight is a Thai feast... mango chicken, green curry chicken, and my infamous pad thai. I've never made the mango chicken before and I've only made the green curry once... so I hope everything turns out good. If things turn ugly, I'm counting on my pad thai to be my saving point... though I think I'll change the recipe a little as I've got some tofu in my fridge and I don't want to "over-chicken" things...

Anyway, I love having dinner parties. From the ones that Dor and I used to host in our little closet-apartment, where we put pots on the ground and sat 7 people on the tatami floor to the spontaneous let-me-see-what-I've-got-in-my-fridge moments, whipping up dinner for four. I don't cook enough to garner myself a reputation as a cook (I still get smirks of "you cook?!" from people), but I think I've got a hint of an internal foodie in me. I grew up in a restaurant, after all!
I admit I don't have much range in the kitchen though.... I'm like Wok Girl, feeling most confident with my wok and "chan" in hand. If I ever have to turn on an oven, I get nervous. (I still shudder when I think of the very first time we tried to bake for class cupcake day...). Maybe I ought to take some kind of culinary course and actually learn some new ways to cook. Then I can REALLY throw a dinner party :) !

3 comments:

seakrait said...

i can cook! sorta. okay, i suck at chinese food. but you have to cook for me when you come back to vancouver next. ;) mmm... pad thai!

GoMa.on.the.go said...

can we have a party at your house then? we'll potluck it..

seakrait said...

'k. But I only have so many chairs in my apartment. Everyone else can sit on the floor.