skip to main |
skip to sidebar
ALAG
F*CK OFF is exactly what my inner Angry Little Asign Girl (ALAG) wanted to say today to my coworker. A new immigrant from Shanghai, T is the epitome of all-things-I-hate about ignorant Chinese FOBs. More than once he's made a snide remark about how I'm "NOT really Chinese", pre-judging me because I'm illiterate and only partially fluent in Cantonese. Well do I make fun of his English? Do I tease him for his lack of Canadian integration? Or, for that matter, his extreme and obvious lack of manners?
Don't get me wrong... I'm not being discriminatory here, but my usual benevolence for immigrants is strongly strained by people like him. I mean, I'm from an immigrant family and my own mother still struggles with language issues. I sympathize with foreigners because, I too, was a foreigner for two years in someone else's country. But I'm also someone who is fiercely proud of her Chinese heritage and to have some stranger judge me for that, trying to put a label on me and telling me who I am, pisses me off.
6 comments:
OH SNAP!!!
YOU GO GIRL!!!
Don't let anyone get all up in your face!!!
Wow, that must be the angriest i've ever seen you. Even more so then when Jerm and I piss you off. =)
but not as much as when i piss you off
You're so not chinese. :P Just tell him to shut up. Seriously, some people just need to be told to keep their big trap shut. If everyone goes about muttering to themselves how they should have said this or should have said that, the offending individual will just go through life without anyone telling him off. Do it.
Do it.
Hum. I think Jerm could be right. This guy doesn't know that being blunt about his opinions is also offensive...
PS. I don't like the term FOBs. My non-Chinese friend used it the other day about a wrong number and I thought it was quite rude.
Funny. I don't like the term FOB either. It makes me cringe. But here in Toronto, ppl use FOB as flippantly as we use Honger back home. They don't even know what Hongers are. It's just one of those funny differences I've noticed between the slang here and on the West coast.
Post a Comment