10.24.2006

The Coat Question

So here’s the scenario. I bought a coat about 3.5 weeks ago. Cute, warm, perfect-for-fall coat. I’ve worn it a few times and just so happened to be wearing it on Saturday, when I went back to the mall and found that my coat was 50% off.

Understanding that consumer demands have now pressured stores into such things as “price protection,” I asked the manager if they’d be able to refund me the difference. I even had my original receipt with me at the time, as I happened to have it my wallet. They said no. Their price protection policy only extends for 7 days from price of purchase. I left the store slightly disgruntled.

Until a friend gave me an idea.

Knowing that the store has a 30 day refund policy, and knowing that the 30 day policy doesn’t expire until today (Oct 24), he suggested that I go to the store, buy the coat at said 50% discount, and then return it using my old receipt for a full 100% refund. As long as item being returned and item listed on receipt are the same, I shouldn’t have a problem.

Should I?


3 comments:

seakrait said...

Do it you Chinese person you. Just make sure you're not returning the coat to the same person you purchased it from.

And kudos to you for not returning the used one. You're not THAT Chinese I guess.

TK said...

but if today is the last day you can return the coat... you better listen to Jerm and not return it to the person who sold it to you otherwise they'll ask why you have a full priced receipt instead of the 50% off receipt...

Tina said...

wow. I would never have thought about that idea. But knowing that I could do it easily, I think I'd be quite tempted to do it as well. It's such a tought call as u did buy it for the full price and enjoyed it despite that fee.