7.18.2006

Dead and Dying

Whether inanimate or alive, objects should be kept away from me... I'm on a killing spree, and the loss has been tragic.

Firstly, I'll announce the death of my (second) herb garden. This time my strawberry jar plants had extra-special meaning for me because they were given to me by the D.Fung squares, an appreciation gift after they stayed with me in Toronto. It had many happy little plants in the prettiest pale pink pot, and sat on my kitchen window shelf. But after my trip to Vancouver my plants were half-dead, due (I blame) to the care of my landlords. I tried nursing them back to health but whether because of my basement apartment's lack of sunshine or my ineptness with herbs, they died last week. A burial will commence sometime next week to salvage the pretty pot.

Secondly, my cell phone is on its death bed. After nearly four years of loyal service, my Motorola T720 is literally disintegrating in my hands. Last night, after chatting with my sister, I closed my phone as I’ve always done, only to feel a slight “wiggle” as the top right hinge cracked and fell to the ground. In shock and disbelief, I tried to stick the hinge back in, only to have the entire top “clam” of my phone fall off, hanging by three coloured wires from the rest of the phone. I matched up the two halves, desperate to get them to reconnected somehow. Unfortunately, the plastic hinges are unsalvageable and even if I tried to “tape” it back up, there would be no way to open my phone without the tape being undone. Currently, the phone is still functioning, but I have to hold the top part very gently so that it doesn’t fall out of the bottom part.

I suppose this is a good thing, because it forces me to get a new phone and to save money on a better plan. However, I hate the idea of my phone number changing and hate (even more) the idea that I have to pay $100’s in “upgrade” costs for new hardware in order to keep my old number. So with slim options, I’m off to the mall today to shop for a new phone. I suppose though that’s a bit of consolation while my phone is at death’s door—I get to go shopping!

No comments: