7.05.2006

Paddles up!

On the water tonight for the first time in over a year, I was in my little happy zone... just paddling away, despite my smelly life jacket (it's all part of the sport after all). We had our first "official" practice today, and though it was supposed to be a dry-land practice, our volunteer coach asked his friend boat-gaurd if we could take a boat out and she said "sure" and so we did! And there we were... first-time paddlers, some of whom had never even SAT in a boat before, whisking by at a nice 60 strokes a minute. Chek would've been proud!

I'm not going to be all Jerm and turn this blog into a minute-by-minute replay of my dragonboat happenings (as he tends to do with his ultimate stories--not that I don't enjoy them, Jerm, I'm just saying I don't want to be like that...) but I realize more and more how much db means to me and how much I miss it.

Not the most athletic person in the world (insert your own snide remarks here), I really can't claim to be any good at any team sport. I'm afraid of volleyballs, can't handle a puck, too short for basketball... yup, I'm pretty useless on any team. But maybe, just a little modest maybe, I'm a little good at dragon boat... and I think that's why I like it so much. That, and the fun team dinners post-practice. Yum!

No comments: