The news warned this morning of bitterly cold, frigid temperatures today... with evening drops down to minus 25, with windchill. This number frightens me. Although I have little self-comprehension of temperature (ie. I don't have a built-in temperature guage as some people do, when they go outside and say, "hmm.. feels like 10 degrees today!), the psychological effect of the words "minus twenty five" is profound. When it sounds cold, it IS cold. And dammit, I can FEEL it. My poor little Vancouver body just can't handle it!
I can't remember being out in any temperatures colder than minus 5. Even this winter, when temperatures plummated to record lows back home, I missed out. So minus twenty five? I think that's the coldest weather that I've endured.
But then again, I don't think this experience still quite compares to Japan. There, where it's as cold inside as it is outside... where I'd have to wear gloves while typing on my home computer, where I'd lie in bed and see my breath in hot puffs, and where I'd see my pee steam up as I went to bathroom!
So with my long johns, knee socks, down coat, ear muffs, gloves, and scarf under and above my normal three layers of "indoor" clothes, I can bare the outside air--at least for the 30 seconds it takes for me to walk from the front door to the car!
1.25.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
long johns are where it's at
Post a Comment