My personal hair stylist Dor got up early with me to help me put my hair in an ultra-cool updo. Dev helped with make-up while we sipped Hong Kong milk tea and got me ready. After quick good-byes, I rushed out the door go get to Wes’ home for the first activity of the day.
The young groom greeted me at the door, I still picture clearly, in his usual half-slouch, hands in pockets, and elfish grin. This time though, no grey jogging pants—he was handsomely dressed in his light gold vest and tuxedo pants. A quick greeting and I was ushered into the home, where his parents were rushing about, the decorating committee was waiting, and other family members were hanging out. The car that I was to decorate hadn’t been delivered yet, causing a very clear furrow on Wes’ brow. The finely-tuned schedule was already off! However, the decorating girls made quick measure and the car was covered with tulle quite soon after it had pulled up.
After decorating the car, I drove to Vie’s house, identied by the bright red lantern hanging in the doorway. As I approached the walkway, the door opened to the 5-ring circus inside. I’m sure there were at least 50 people in that house, none of whom I clearly recognized until I found a few of the greeting girls upstairs in the back kitchen. Vie was in a back room getting ready, so I didn’t get a chance to say hi. I announced that the boys would be arriving soon, and the girls rushed to take their places… basically peeping out the windows for the boys' arrival. Although this was also my first time participating in such a ritual, I gladly enjoyed making Wes do push-ups and teasing him for the cold Nando’s fries that he brought to woo Vie with. A duo of videographers filmed the entire affair, as the boys and Wes won favour with us enough to be allowed to see the bride.
In her perfectly-fitted dress, and stunning hair and make-up, Vie moved out of the shadows of her bridal room to greet her suitor. “Hey, how’s it going?” she said to Wes, and I couldn’t help but laugh. Though the moment was hugely significant, they were still, so simply, WesnVie.
After more fanfare and tradition at Vie’s house, I rushed cross-city to the Ebenezer Baptist Church, where many of our friends were already positioned as greeters and ushers. I staked one of the best seats in the house—close to the aisle so I could take lots of photos as the wedding party came in.
Having seen the rehearsals from a couple of days before, I generally knew what to expect. However, Pastor Ray’s words were so eloquent and personal. He was such a wonderful speaker, and I listened attentively to the ceremony and sermon.
The highlight by-far for me was I.Cho’s rendition of “From This Moment”. Her voice was clear and powerful, and flawlessly accompanied with Best Man Arthur on the piano. Wes’ relatives even approached her afterwards to compliment on her singing talent.
The ceremony ended too soon, and I had to rush to get to Stevie Y’s house to finish off our last-minute preps. Amongst speech refinements and dry run-throughs of the games, I had to cut up a chicken. That was actually a fun moment for me, as I took a pair of scissors to our stuffed Daiso chicken and snipped off his head. He was a cute chicken… even cuter headless! I sutured up his wounds with a stapler and he was good-to-go.
By the time we’d finish and got to the reception venue, the nerves were starting to kick in. It was hard to act natural and chat it up with old friends and acquaintances that I hadn’t seen in months—I had this sickly nervous feeling in my stomach. But Stevie Y was my rock, as he’s been throughout, and kept me focused on the task at-hand. We reviewed our notes quietly in the back, until virtually the minute we stepped on stage. After a critical error in the first 5 minutes that made me want to vomit, everything went through very smoothly.
The games were the most fun part for me as I got to ad lib and ham things up. I can’t decide which game I enjoyed the most, but I felt most relieved that our karaoke “game” had the emotional hit and impact that I had hoped. Wes sang beautifully as always, and I observed as the stunned-silent audience was actually quiet for the first time all night. Even that old poh-poh from table 35 stopped eating for a second to hear him sing. Definitely worth the $50 bucks rental fee!
I should also mention Jeopardy, which was such a hit that we got dozens of compliments throughout the night. I gave all the credit to Stevie Y, which he well deserves, because he did all the tech-tinkering and computer set-up for the game. I should confess, though, that we came up with the idea on Wednesday morning, and made up all the questions the day before, so I had huge anxiety over this one. Nevertheless, it did its job to impress, and I think it was a fun game. (FYI: I had proposed that we play 1..2..3..Goma for the kissing game, but we weren't too sure how it would work logistically...)
Rario's photo slide show was definitely a highlight, with fun tunes and a great assortment of pictures from all circles of friends (okay, mainly CVC friends) and eras. Although it was over double the allotted time, I don't think anyone minded the length and in fact wanted to see more at the end.
Wes made the most touching speech to close the night, starting off to thank, of all people, Stevie Y and I!! I felt a little gulp in my throat as I fought not to cry, but had to let go when Wes came to thank Vie. So simple yet so sweet, his speech made me cry, as it did many of the people in the crowd who’ve known the couple as long as I have.
There was bouquet-tossing and garter-tossing, dozens more photos, dancing, and further events to extend the evening right to 1am, when the Radisson crew started to kick us out so they could pack up. For me though, the night just went by so quickly that when it ended, I really didn’t want it to. After the doors finally closed, and the others had left, I finally had a quiet moment with the bride and groom, whom I congratulated, wished well, and thanked. It was a good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment