8.09.2006

Sidekick

Through thick and thin, I can always rely on my sidekick to be there. No, I'm NOT talking about my handheld text messaging-capable cell phone... I'm talking about a person, a friend, a loyal sidekick, true and true. I know she reads this blog too, so excuse us as we have a *moment*.

Anway, the reason I bring up my sidekick is because I have in front of me a "back-and-forth" journal that we've been keeping for nearly two years. In fact, the very first entry in the journal was made on August 28, 2004. The book is a illustrated with a picture of Spongebob Square Pants and Patrick Star and is entitled the "Official Best Friends' Back-and-Forth Journal". It's very fitting and appropriate as my sidekick, Gary the Snail, is the best friend of Patrick Star, who is a cartoon personification of me. And even though Gary the Snail is not pictured on its cover, the book still provides the perfect place for us to trade thoughts back-and-forth, despite the many kilometers that seperate us.

Anyway, I was looking through our journal, and the different things that have transpired over the last two years, and this entry caught my eye. I wrote this on May 6, 2005:

"... my next short-term plans involve...
a) quitting my job at Canada Wide
b) moving to a different city (ie. Toronto or New York)
c) getting a kick-ass job at a kick-ass publishing company
d) kicking the ass of that Conde Naste security gaurd"

How cool it is that a few months after this entry, I had accomplished three of the four things on this list!!? (I don't think I really meant to go kick the ass of some poor security gaurd... even though he rejected me from the Conde Naste building and wouldn't even let me look around the lobby!). But I feel proud to have accomplished the things on my "to-do" list. Honestly, I think that when I made the list, I didn't really believe I would do any of it... I didn't think I would have the guts to quit my job. But I did it! And then I moved! And now I'm here at my kick-ass job at North Island Publishing! Okay okay, so today wasn't exactly the most kick-ass day, and the company could kick-ass a little more too, but I think I can still check that one off my list.

I hope that my recently-made birthday resolutions work well for me too!

4 comments:

Tina said...

Hi Sis! I'm done!!!!!!! I'm so done that it's actually anti-climatic. I thought I'd be doing a little dance but I'm actually in disbelief that I'm really finished! This is the last time I take 3 courses in the summer, ok? I'll try to plan ahead better. Let's get this party started!!! SEE U SOON!

Anonymous said...

so who is this sidekick of yours?

GoMa.on.the.go said...

She'd cut your head off for not knowing who she is... (good hint??) :P

seakrait said...

hmmm.. i don't remember posting that comment. :S