A year ago today, I arrived in Toronto. No place to live, no job, no clue where anything was. I didn't know anyone, and really only had one friend (who I could count on). It was an intimidating position to be in, but definitely an exciting one too.
Three hundred and sixty five days later, I've got my little basement apartment, a job as Assistant Publisher at a great little company, I know the city well enough to take my Vancouver friends around, and I have TWO friends (who I can count on, I mean, though I have lots of pals who I can hang out with... !)
So to celebrate my anniversary today... I skipped work!! That is totally UNlike me, isn't it? I mean, I've only skipped work one other time in my entire life and that was when I was living in Japan, and D decided to skip her work day and then convinced me to go fishing with her and Nami instead. I caught two fish that day and it was pretty fun and an awesome memory... But I digress...
I didn't wake up this morning intending to skip. In fact, when I woke up this morning, I was freaking out because I had accidentally slept in! It was 8:40am--the time that my boss usually picks me up at to drive me to work. So just as I was sitting in bed freaking out, he called. And when I answered the phone with my voice all scratchy because of that "just woke up" croakiness, he observed, "Oh Gloria, you sound sick!" to which I answered, "Yes, yes I am!"
And thus my second year in Toronto began with a dirty lie... so to work off my guilt, I did some productive work around the house. I did laundry, and vacuumed and tidied up. Then I went into downtown and met a friend for lunch, had great conversation, and then, to reward myself, got a facial at my favourite spa!! So all in all, a very lovely day and definitely a fine way of celebrating my life, my year, and my day "off" from work.
9.28.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Better hope your boss or coworkers read your blog....
Hey Goma,
I would suggest that while you are just taking a day off, you should probably delete this blog entry so that your boss/co-workers don't find out about it. Taking a day off is one thing, lying about it is really bad...
Just my two cents!!
anon and TK: thanks for the tip... but I don't think they're going to read my blog. They don't even know it exists! But I trust you both to not tell on me!
I'll tell! Muahahaha...
Google.ca --> click "more" --> click "Blog search" --> type in key words and you can get links from either my page or seakrait's to your blog...
There are companies out there, not saying your's specifically, that will google employee names to see if they have blogs. Employees such as yourself tend to often talk about "sick days" on their blogs and end up getting caught...
So you mean we should put more keywords on GLORIA MA's blog? So that if GLORIA MA's company googles GLORIA MA's name, GLORIA MA will get in trouble? :p
happy 1 year!
Post a Comment