An Elvis impersonator on one corner, Polka band on the other, and the smell of pierogi in the air--ah yes, clear signs of the annual Polish Festival on Roncesvalles. The whole street was closed this weekend, allowing for midway carnival games, street vendors, clowns, and other street fare to create a family-friendly party environment. Me, small young and Asian, partied it up with my Polski neighbours, who polka-ed well into the evening.
Street festivals are a weekly event in Toronto in the summer. Some are bigger than others... like the Taste of Danforth that draws over a million people in two days, and Caribana, with it's 8-hour long parade, reputed as the largest Carribbean festival outside of the Carribbean. Our little street festival, though modest in comparison, still had a great turn out, likely because of the warm sunny weather this weekend.
As a Roncies' resident, I went to the festival three or four times in the last couple of days, mainly just buying up food and eating little snacks from food vendors. I'm too big, after all, for the rides, and probably too old for the face painting... so food it was! There were standard festival foods like cotton candy, popcorn, sno cones, and hot dogs... but this being a POLISH festival there were also stands selling pierogi (perogies), bigos [saurekraut and meat stew], cabbage rolls, and pączki [polish donuts]. I'm sure I sound as though I've become a conneisseur of Polish edibles, but actually... that's not true at all. Despite all the yummies, the place that I frequented the most was my neighbourhood favourite, The Friendly Thai. Mmm...
9.17.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
mmm... perogies!!! I love perogies. Can you send me some? Hey, I noticed that your blog still has a lack of anything to do with T&T's wedding? Is that on purpose or are we just not interesting enough for your massive audience of readers? =P
I'm warming up to write my ultra-blog entry about your wedding :P
Massive audience of readers? I think there are about 5 people who read my blog... :P
tk, you're own blog lacks more T&T wedding! =P
I think I'm probably one of those 5 people..
TK- Nice seeing you guys the other night! Let's get together when you are back into town- maybe we can run into some old friends again! Felt bad that I didn't recognize Mike at first!
Devon
Hey TK and DEV!
didn't know you guys visit this blog often! I guess its the best way to catch up with friends! Yeah TK, you gotta update your blog. OMG DEV! I totally didn't recognize mike from UBC! He did ask a lot about you Glor!
oops the last msg was from me...you see i'm new at posting on blogs!
Who's Mike from UBC? Why did he ask a lot about me? Do you mean Mike from high school? And yah, TK, what's with your lack of updating? haha
Lauri-- Thanks for being one of those "five". I love people like you :)
You people all suck. I updated my blog a long time ago. You just never check it out... =)
Hey D&D... Yeah, it was awesome to see Mike again. Haven't seen him since UBC. I think the last time Tanya and I saw him was at the 2nd CVC Ski Trip that we went on when Glor introduced us to him. Glor, not Mike Hui. I can't remember his last name, but perhaps D&D can remember. We all bumped into him when we met up for Bubble Tea a couple weeks ago. The bubble tea beside Richmond Sushi.
I'm still not cluing in.. a Mike that I know? That I introduced you guyz to on a ski trip? Hmm.. is he cute? :)
Sorry T&T&G, I don't remember his last name either. Shoulda ask'd him for a card! Don't you guys remember hanging out with him at the club on the mountain!?! It was funny reminiscing about the good ol' days. Maybe we have a picture! He's pretty cute! Can't believe you don't remember.
Hey woman! just read ur blog! Can't believe you didn't write about T&T's wedding...NOR anything about when I came to visit TO!!! :( My visit woulda helped your site gain ratings! haha
Dor--Clubbing with Mike? On a mountain?? WHAT? Who is he? Where was I? Is this white Mike? hmm..
And yes i know and I'm SORRY that I didn't post about the wedding or the DFung visit... oh well... too late now:P
Post a Comment