I finally got to see a film festival movie today, on the very last day of the 10-day Toronto International Film Festival. As I stood in the 3-block-long ticket-holders' line-up, I overheard the conversation of the women behind me. This would be their final film of the festival and they were bittersweet that it was coming to an end. One had seen 25 movies; the other 28. Can you believe it?! That's like two or three movies a day! But so it is when the TIFF is in town, people get a little nuts about movies...
I saw After the Wedding, a Danish film of which I knew nothing about (except that it was a Danish movie). Even when the film's lead actors came out to introduce the flick and give thanks to us, I barely even blinked. No expections, after all, and I didn't know who these people were. 122 minutes later, I came out of the theatre with moist eyes and a runny nose--admittedly from tears shed during some emotionally gut-wrenching scenes. Clearly a non-Hollywood film, After the Wedding was film fest-worthy because of its beautiful dialogue, characters, and cinematography. Definitely two thumbs up from me. I was also sad at the end, as I realized that it was my first and last movie of the fest. I wished that I had started watching movies earlier, as the next chance to do so won't come again until next year... that, plus the realization that the movie let out right as the FREE John Mayer concert down the street was ending, so I totally missed his performance! :P
9.17.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment